Saturday, January 26, 2008

Huckabee and Fried Squirrel

I used to hunt squirrel. In season (mom knew these things; I didn't), I'd take my killings home to be cooked.

Dad cleaned the squirrels .... I recall how he'd drive a nail through the neck (at the back of the woodshed), cut the tail off and gut it. Next, he'd remove the skin (fur) something similar to literally removing the carcus from a coat. Then he'd severe the head from the body.

Mom would cut the squirrel into chicken-like portions and roll it in flour before frying it. Not bad. Not bad at all. Tasted a bit like chicken.

It was years before we had a modern-day popcorn popper. Even if mom had one, I don't think she would have fried squirrel in it. Not that I'm calling Huckabee a liar, but I rather doubt if he did either .....




.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.